Believe it or no, there are more than 80 types of massage therapy out there. A variety of them is used in the massage industry in America today. Some of the more general options happen to include deep tissues massage, sports massage, Swedish massage, reflexology, chair massage, acupressure, and there are many others out there as well. Many people have heard of these names but they don’t understand much about the various massage options and what they are all about. Here is a closer look at some of these various kinds of massage therapy.
Here are just a few of the various several types of massage therapy.
1. Hot stone massage therapy involves the use of hot stones placed on the body to treat a range of health concerns. Stones are placed on the spine, stomach, or other different points of the body. As a stone begins to cool it will be replaced with different. It is the most popular massage therapy.
2. Swedish massage-this is the most generally known massage technique or therapy. Typically, this is considered a relaxation massage. You don’t have to endure any pain or injury to need a Swedish massage. It is simply kneading the muscles with long, semi-deep strokes, allowing a person to feel less tense and restricted in movement.
3. Deep tissue massage-this is the second most demanded massage therapy. Deep tissue massage focuses on deep tissue layers and the connective tissues. Deep tissue massage is typically performed on those who have endured injury or accident with injury. Many sporting athletes get deep tissue massage to help their muscles bounce back from overuse during athletic events.
4. Reflexology-this is a form of massage therapy that uses the feet to help cure issues with other parts of the patient’s body. Every major system in your body can be traced to a different part of your foot. It can also be useful for people who have foot pain and are on their feet usually because of work or extracurricular activities.
5. Lomi lomi massage refers to a form of full body treatment that promotes relaxation whilst treating muscle pain and tension. A Lomi lomi therapist will use long flowing strokes across the whole body. These go from head to toe in a continuous regular movement.
6. Postnatal massage is designed to help the brain and body adjust to motherhood and recover from the birthing process. A specifically trained therapist will use gentle ways to target particular aches and pains. Postnatal massage reduces stress and helps to re-balance hormones.
7. Prenatal massage is a gentle therapy that is designed to ease stress and any aches and pains that occur during pregnancy. This is to help pregnant mothers to feel more relaxed and prepared for childbirth.
8. Swedish massage improves the body’s absorption of oxygen, which helps the body to rejuvenate. It also contributes to the detoxification process, flushing lactic acid, uric acid, and other waste from the tissues. Swedish massage benefits stimulate the skin and nervous system and exercise the ligaments and tendons to keep them supple.
There are several other types of massage therapy–these are some of the most popular. Always talk to your doctor before going to see a massage therapist.